The Lion Hotel is a traditional coaching inn on the old Great North Road in the village of Buckden. It’s a Grade II listed building dating from 1492, and although the original timber-framed hall is still there it is hidden by the 18th century brick facade fronting the street (photos 1 & 2).
Inside the bar and lounge have the original medieval beamed ceiling and the elegant dining rooms are wood panelled. There are usually four cask beers including Adnam’s Bitter and Taylor’s Landlord. Food is served lunchtimes and evenings and there are 14 guest bedrooms, some with four poster beds.
The Lion originally served as the kitchen and dining room for Buckden Towers across the road when it was the palace of the Bishops of Lincoln. The first wife of Henry VIII, Catherine of Aragon, was held captive in the Towers after the annulment of their marriage.
Click photo to enlarge