Robin Hood’s Bay
The Bay Hotel is an imposing pub right on the harbour, or “The Dock” as it’s known locally, in Robin Hood’s Bay on the Yorkshire coast.
A plaque on the outside wall marks the end point of Alfred Wainwright’s coast to coast walk and the bottom bar of the pub is named in his memory. Wainwright also has a beer named after him and appropriately enough it is one of the four cask ales on offer. The pub does proper pub food lunchtimes and evenings and is hugely popular with the crowds of tourists in the summer. There is an outside patio overlooking the sea which is great in the sunshine but a bit of a challenge at high tide on a windy day.
The Bay Hotel was built in 1828 when the smuggling boom was coming to an end, but the previous inn on the site was key to the trade. Goods from here were moved up the tunnel next to the pub and via several secret passageways out of the village and onto the Salt Road across Fylingdales Moor. The tunnel featured in the first series of Villages by the Sea presented by archaeologist Ben Robinson.
Click or tap photo to enlarge